IVPSC Replacement Service

IVPSC understands the importance of keeping your passport and visas secure. If your passport is lost or stolen, the cost and hassle of replacing your travel documents can be overwhelming. For these reasons IVPSC offers you our Visa Replacement Service. This enables you to replace your unexpired visas, free of charge, and helps you obtain a new passport, even if you are abroad. 

IVPSC will assist with the replacement of your passport. Due to Canadian laws and regulations, we are unfortunately unable to process a passport application on your behalf. However, our vast experience in the industry of visa and passport procurement has allowed us to acquire the knowledge and the network to seamlessly direct you to the agencies which will issue new travel documents.

We recommend that every client and customer take advantage of our replacement service. You can purchase IVPSC Visa Replacement Service for merely $C45.00 (ex GST) per passport. IVPSC will replace all unexpired visas obtained for a transaction, in which the replacement service fee was paid, and we will also cover the cost of replacing your lost or stolen passport. The maximum visa and passport coverage is C$300 per person. 

IVPSC Visa Replacement Service Terms and Conditions

The Visa Replacement Service can and will only be applied when:

  • You are enrolled in the IVPSC Visa Replacement Service
  • A visa was obtained by IVPSC on your behalf
  • A passport is lost or stolen between the time we shipped your passport back to you and the end of your trip. Or if applicable the expiration of your visa. This applies only in the case of a multiple entry visa
  • You are able to show proof that your passport is lost or stolen

Need to file a claim? If you purchased IVPSC'S Visa Replacement Service you must notify us of your lost or stolen passport, in order to file a claim.

  1. Notify IVPSC. Call IVPSC at 1-888-665-9956 in order to file a claim. You must have your order number or invoice reference number.
  2. Send the completed forms to IVPSC. Make a copy of your forms and documents for your records and send the originals to the location listed in the IVPSC Claim Application kit.
  3. Send proof of loss to IVPSC. Make a copy of the receipt for the passport or the passport claim form proving your passport has been lost or stolen. Send this along with the other pertinent forms to IVPSC.
  4. IVPSC will provide you with your order status. As soon as we receive your application, we will begin processing your request. IVPSC will secure the fastest processing time to replace your lost or stolen passport or visas. We will send you a confirmation email containing a receipt and a link to our online tracking tool. This allows you to access our website and track your claim in real-time.

If you have questions contact a IVPSC specialist at customerservice@ivpsc.com or  1-888-665-9956.